LEXINGTON, Ky. (LEX 18)– A 69-year-old man has been found dead in Estill County, after setting a brush fire on his property.
The family says Michael Tipton set fire to his garden every year.
Now, as investigators try to figure out how Tipton died, the Lexington Fire Department is giving advice on how to prevent tragedies like this.
Fire officials say you’re not allowed to burn items like hay, muck, asbestos, shingles, and plastic.
They say according to the EPA, the only thing you’re allowed and legally able to burn, is wood.
The fire department says you should always prepare the surroundings of the area you will be burning.
And remember, never burn on windy days.
“Wind as we know, can get fires out of control pretty quickly,” said Major Jordan Saas. “Always have an extinguishing agent, preferably a water source, a continuous water source nearby. A fire extinguisher would also suffice.”
If a fire looks like it’s getting out of hand, call the fire department for help.
Before burning, call your local law enforcement to make sure there isn’t a burn ban in effect.