LEXINGTON, Ky. (LEX 18) — In a season when nothing has been routine, Kentucky Blood Center is hoping UK fans will turn out in force for its annual blood drive competition LifeSouth Community Blood Center in Florida.
The 13th annual Big Blue Slam is Jan. 25-29 at all Kentucky Blood Center donor centers and blood drives and comes at an important time as the nonprofit continues to battle blood drive cancellations due to the pandemic and increased transfusions at the 70+ hospitals KBC serves.
“Of course, UK fans are frustrated with this atypical season, and donating blood for this competition is a great way to secure a win for Big Blue Nation and Kentucky patients,” said Mandy Brajuha, Vice President of External Relations. “Any win against Florida feels so good and would be a great rebound after last year.”
Kentucky fell behind early in 2020’s Big Blue Slam competition, but made a huge comeback late in the week. However, KBC came up just 8 units short, allowing Florida to tie the series at six wins apiece.
Big Blue Slam was created to encourage blood donation during the winter months, when weather and illness can hamper collections. The pandemic has continued to impact blood centers’ ability to collect blood, especially on mobile drives.
As a thank you for saving a life, Kentucky donors will receive a great long-sleeved Big Blue Slam T-shirt.
Donors may give at any KBC mobile blood drive or donor center. KBC donor centers, which are open 9 a.m. to 6 p.m. Monday through Friday, are listed below:
- Andover Donor Center: 3130 Maple Leaf Drive, Lexington
- Beaumont Donor Center: 3121 Beaumont Centre Circle, Lexington
- Hillview Donor Center: 5406 Antle Drive, Louisville
- Middletown Donor Center: 12905 Shelbyville Road, Louisville
- Pikeville Donor Center: 472 S. Mayo Trail, Pikeville
- Somerset Donor Center: 10 Stonegate Centre (Stoplight 16A), Somerset blood donors must be at least 17 years old (16 with parental consent), weigh at least 110 pounds, be in general good health, show a photo I.D. and meet additional requirements. If you are awaiting COVID-19 results due to symptoms, please do not attempt to donate. Sixteen-year-old donors must have a signed parental permission slip, found here.
Appointments are preferred to ensure social distancing. Walk-ins are accepted as space allows. A face covering is required to donate.
To schedule a donation, visit the Kentucky Blood Center website or call 800-775-2522