NewsCovering Kentucky


Jessamine County schools preparing for first day of in-person learning

Posted at 6:48 PM, Sep 24, 2020
and last updated 2020-09-24 19:07:12-04

JESSAMINE COUNTY, Ky. (LEX 18) — After more than six months away from school, Jessamine County students are getting ready for the much anticipated first day of in-person classes.

On Monday, about 70% of Jessamine's nearly 8,600 students will be returning. The other 30% are opting to continue at-home learning.

To prepare for the big day, Jessamine East Middle School had a soft open this week bringing in each grade level on a different day.

"It's been wonderful the last two days seeing kids in the hallway, building the field up with students, which is really why all of us educators are in it is to have kids with us," Principal Andrew Pickerill said.

There will be several changes though like wearing masks, smaller class sizes, and temperature checks.

The hallways are also changing. To prevent the chaos of student's mass gathering in them, students are walking in a straight single-file line. They are calling it the circle of life.

If families who are going to participate in at-home learning decide to change their minds and send kids in-person they can do so in October in the next grading period.