FRANKFORT, Ky. (LEX 18) — Less than four weeks before the general election, the Kentucky Democratic Party has announced it is suing the State Board of Elections after thousands of registered voters were placed on an inactive list.
But, Secretary of State Alison Lundergan Grimes warns that if some registered voters don't take action, their own votes in the future could be in jeopardy.
She recently announced that the State Board of Elections has listed 175,000 Kentucky voters as inactive.
They'll still be eligible to vote this year, but if those people don't take action, their ability to vote could be at risk.
On Thursday, the Democratic Party announced they had filed a lawsuit in Franklin County Circuit Court against the Board of Elections, saying this decision infringed on those voters' right to cast a ballot.
We spoke to Grimes about this issue last month.
"I would remind voters Matt Bevin won a primary election for governor with 84 votes. Andy Beshear won his race for attorney general in 2015 with less than 2,000 votes. We are talking about 175,000 voter registrations -- equal number Democrat, Republican, as well as Independents whose voter registration have been altered," said Grimes.
After the lawsuit was filed, Grimes' office released a statement reiterating her vote of no confidence in the Board of Elections.
The Board's executive director has said in the past if Kentuckians find their name on the list, which is available on the Secretary of State's website, all they have to do to be taken off is update their voter address by November 2022, or go vote on Election Day.