The pandemic forced many people around the country to switch from office desktops to television screens. But exactly how much TV do people in Kentucky watch?
According to a survey by Verizon, Kentucky ranks seventh for TV watch time at 3 hours and 52 minutes, a change from last year’s watch time of 3 hours and 21 minutes. Last year, Kentucky ranked as the 21st state for TV watch time.
Other notes from the survey:
- Americans watched 55 minutes more TV than they did compared to last year’s report.
- Alaska watched the least TV in 2020, at 2 hours and 38 minutes—quite a change after ranking #5 for most TV watch time in 2019!
- Mississippi watched the most TV this year (4 hours and 22 minutes).
- Mississippi increased viewership by 25% and dethroned last year’s winner, West Virginia.
- Rhode Island saw a 45% increase in TV watching, jumping from 15th place in 2019 to 6th place in 2020.
- Telenovela was the most popular TV genre for Florida, Texas, and California.
- Sports was the most-searched TV genre across the country.
How we arrived at our findings:
Analysts at VerizonSpecials.com, an authorized retailer of Verizon, compiled data from the American Time Use Survey to determine each state’s TV watch time and used Google Trends data to determine each state’s most-searched TV genre.