The Perfect Roast Chicken - Ina Garten
This is truly one of the simplest things to make, but it looks impressive and tastes fantastic. Ina says she can do it with her eyes closed and honestly, so can you!
1 (5 to 6 pound) roasting chicken
Freshly ground black pepper
1 bunch fresh thyme
1 lemon, quartered
1 head of garlic, cut in half crosswise
2 tablespoons butter, melted
1 large yellow onion, thickly sliced
4 carrots cut into 2-inch chunks
1 bulb fennel, tops removed and cut into wedges
- Preheat oven to 425 degrees
- Remove the chicken giblets, and rinse the chicken inside and out. Remove any excess fat and leftover pin feathers and pat the outside dry (this is important because it helps the salt and pepper stick). Liberally salt and pepper the inside of the chicken. Stuff the cavity with the bunch of thyme, lemon, and all the garlic. Brush the outside of the chicken with the butter and sprinkle with salt and pepper.
- Tie the legs together with kitchen string and tuck the wing tips under the body of the chicken.
- Place the onions, carrots and fennel in a roasting pan. Toss with salt, pepper, additional thyme and olive oil. Place chicken on top.
- Roast the chicken for 1 1/2 hours or until the juices run clear when you cut between a leg and thigh. Remove the chicken and vegetables from the platter and let rest for 20 minutes.
- Slice and serve!