LEXINGTON, Ky. (LEX 18) — Have a craving for pasta but don't want all the carbs?
Try this delicious quinoa and eggplant lasagna casserole! Yes it still includes plenty of cheese, but it is a healthier twist on an Italian classic.
- 2 eggplants
- 3 tbsp olive oil
- 1 cup quinoa, rinsed
- 2 cups packed baby spinach
- 1.5 cups organic marinara sauce
- 2 large eggs, beaten
- 1 tsp dried oregano
- 1/2 tsp red pepper flakes
- 1/2 cup ricotta cheese
- 2 cups of mozzarella cheese
- 1/4 cup grated parmesan cheese
- Salt, pepper, italian seasoning to taste
- Two baking sheets
- Parchment paper
- Cutting board and knife
- Large sauce pan
- 13 x 9 baking dish
- Large bowl
- Preheat oven to 375, line two baking sheets
- Slice eggplant in about 1/4in thin slices
- Lay out eggplants on baking sheets, brush with oil, add salt and pepper to taste
- Roast 15-20 minutes until tender, flip them over halfway
- In a large saucepan, bring quinoa and water to a boil
- Once boiling, lower heat to medium-low, cover for about 15 minutes or until water is absorbed.
- Once water is absorbed, turn off heat and let sit for a few minutes, then stir in spinach. Cover and set aside.
- Spread 1/2 cup of marinara on bottom of 13x9 baking dish, then layer half of the eggplant over the sauce
- In a large bowl, stir together quinoa mixture, eggs, oregano and pepper flakes. Transfer to baking dish and spread in an even layer, pressing down with spatula.
- Put ricotta on top of quinoa mixture, then top with half of mozzarella
- Place remaining eggplant in another layer on top, then cover with marinara sauce
- Top with mozzarella and parmesan, sprinkle some italian seasoning in
- Cover and bake for 25 minutes
- Uncover and bake for 20ish minutes or until cheese is melted to your liking
- Bon appetit!