POWELL COUNTY, Ky. (LEX 18) — A Powell County family was safe Wednesday morning after a fire broke out in their home.
Authorities said the blaze was reported about 2 a.m. at a residence in Clay City.
Officials tell LEX 18 that a teenager was alerted by a popping noise. He then alerted his parents, who found a fire in the laundry room.
Fire officials said the laundry room suffered extensive damage, and much of the rest of the house was affected by smoke damage.
Crews said they did not find a working smoke detector in the home.