NewsCovering Kentucky


Voluntary Travel IDs now offered in Frankfort for Fayette County residents

vtid real id
Posted at 4:06 PM, Jan 03, 2020
and last updated 2020-01-03 16:18:21-05

FRANKFORT, Ky. (LEX 18)  — Fayette County residents can now obtain a Voluntary Travel ID in the state's capitol.

The Kentucky Transportation Cabinet (KYTC) is expanding REAL ID-compliant card access at the Frankfort regional driver licensing office to serve Fayette County residents as the agency continues preparations to open a local regional office in Lexington.

“We’re proud to expand access at our Frankfort location to Fayette County residents who are ready to apply for the new card version before it’s available in Lexington,” Department of Vehicle Regulation Commissioner Matt Henderson said. “Coming prepared will save applicants valuable time since new federal standards require additional documentation that must meet strict requirements.”

Starting at the beginning of October, current driver’s licenses, permits and identification cards (displaying the Kentucky Unbridled Spirit logo) and new standard cards (displaying the language “NOT FOR REAL ID PURPOSES) will no longer be accepted to board domestic flights or access restricted federal buildings due to federal REAL ID law. Voluntary Travel IDs are Kentucky’s version of REAL ID-compliant credentials accepted at airport security checkpoints, military bases and federal buildings that require ID once federal enforcement begins. The cards serve as one of several forms of federal identification citizens can use to maintain travel and access benefits. Other common forms of acceptable identification citizens may use instead of a Voluntary Travel ID include valid passports, passport cards, and military IDs.

Residents applying for a Voluntary Travel ID card version must present documentation that meets specific guidelines, including one valid proof of identity, one valid proof of social security number and two valid proofs of residency (dated less than 61 days for most documents). Additional documentation may be required if an applicant’s name or gender doesn’t match on the four proof documents (like a marriage certificate or divorce decree if your names don’t match due to marriage or divorce).

A detailed list of acceptable documents is available on the Confident Kentucky website.