LEXINGTON, Ky. (LEX 18) — Flowers make a great gift or decoration during the holidays, but if you have pets, certain plants can be dangerous to keep around your home.
“You always want to look out for poinsettias. You want to watch out for mistletoe, holly, amaryllis. Those things can be toxic or bad for your pet,” said Ashley Hammond with the Lexington Humane Society.
Hammond says if ingested by your pets, the poison inside these plants can cause stomachaches and sickness. She suggests keeping them up high and out of reach.
”Now if you have cats, you might want to consider not having those plants in your house, because we all know cats like to jump and roam around, if not during the day then at night,” she said.
If you suspect or know your pets have eaten these plants, keep an eye on them and call a vet if they get sick.
”Give them lots of love and TLC and just take all of the extra precautions,” said Hammond.
Another plant to keep an eye on is your live Christmas tree. Not so much the tree itself, but Hammond says don’t let your pet drink the water at the bottom, because it could contain fertilizer.