(LEX 18) — Winter weather hit the Bluegrass overnight and the Kentucky Transportation Cabinet has issued some tips for drivers who are hitting the roads.
The following tips will help you on the roads in cold weather:
- Pay attention to weather advisories. Weather will impact your commute on some level.
- Travel only as necessary during major snow events. It’s better to be stuck at home than on the road.
- Maintain a safe distance from snowplows and other heavy highway equipment.
- Do not pass snowplows on the shoulder.
- Allow time for a slower commute.
- Winterize your vehicles.
- Stock vehicles with blankets, flashlight and an emergency supply kit.
- Know before you go. You can visit GoKy.ky.gov and download the free Waze app to check traffic conditions before you travel.
- Eliminate distractions while driving.
- Cooperate with the expectation of the Quick Clearance Law, which requires drivers to move vehicles to the shoulder in the event of a non-injury crash
KYTC plows priority A roads first. Those are the roads that are the most traveled. Priority B and C routes are cleaned next.