LEXINGTON, Ky. (LEX 18) — Monday marks the beginning of the fourth week of the United Auto Workers' strike against General Motors.
Weekend negotiations reportedly took a "turn for the worse," according to UAW Vice President Terry Dittes.
Over the weekend, the union brought a proposal to GM to which the company came back with a similar offer to what they offered previously.
GM released a statement saying they are negotiating, "with very good proposals that benefit employees today and builds a stronger future for all of us."
But the union said a key point about job security is missing.
"We, in this union, could not be more disappointed with General Motors who refuse to recognize the experience and talent of our membership," said Dittes. "We have taken a turn for the worse."
The strike began Sept. 16 with more than 49,000 employees walking out. Both sides say they will stay at the table until they are satisfied with the deal.
GM is reportedly losing $80 million a day and workers are only receiving $250 a week, about a fifth of their normal pay.