LEXINGTON, Ky. (LEX 18) — Crews were called to Leaning Tree Lane around 2:10 p.m. when a large house fire broke out.
Luckily, Lexington Fire Department said that no one was home and no one was injured.
According to firefighters, a neighbor smelled the smoke and called it in. Crews got on the scene quickly and said there is now significant damage throughout the house.
Crews told LEX 18'S Eleanor Buckley that a couple lives in the duplex and, although they did have animals inside the home, they are all accounted for and unharmed.
Temperatures were above 90 degrees Wednesday, making firefighters' jobs more difficult.
"It would be nice if it would just cool off a bit, it's almost like it's just summer extended, but anytime it's above 90 degrees doing what we do and wearing the gear we wear, it's extremely hot and we got to be really careful and watch our people so they don't overheat," Battalion Chief Chris Ward told LEX 18.
Part of how they make sure their crew is safe is by keeping an eye on them, making sure everyone takes plenty of breaks and drinks lots of water.
As for the cause of the fire, crews are still investigating.