LEXINGTON, Ky. (LEX 18) — No one is hurt after an apartment close to UK's campus caught fire on Aylesford Place Monday afternoon.
Firefighters say the apartment was "fully involved" when they got to the scene. Multiple fire crews were on the scene to rotate firefighters in and out of the heat.
A man told us he was asleep when the fire happened. It was the apartment’s maintenance worker who woke him up and got him out.
"If it wasn't for Ted, I'd still be laying there probably. He's what got me out," the man told LEX 18. "He tore out that back window and I could hear him yelling for me, and finally, all he's got on is a pair of shorts, climbed in, stepped about five feet in the room, and grabbed me by the back of my head."
One person was transported for an evaluation to an area hospital. The Red Cross will assist families displaced by the fire.