GERMANTOWN, Ky. (LEX 18) — Louisville Metro Animal Services are investigating the death of two dogs who died after eating rat poison.
The two dogs were slipped rat poison on New Year's Day in Germantown. Reports of similar poisonings have been made on social media, but no other cases have been reported.
The owner of the two dogs were out of town and a relative was pet sitting.
The two dogs started seizing and the sitter took them to the vet. One was put down right away while the other was put down the next day.
The owner said the vet found an orange gummy substance, believed to be rat poison, in their teeth and paws. The substance was also found on the leaves by a hole in the back yard.