LEXINGTON, Ky. (LEX 18) — While candidates and political parties differ on ideologies and issues, criminal justice reform is one that many on both sides of the aisle agree needs to happen.
On this week's State of the Commonwealth, we welcomed Holly Harris, who is the executive director of the Justice Action Network.
The policy goals of Justice Action Network are:
- To enact data-driven sentencing reforms that safely address the prison population and associated taxpayer costs
- To reform criminal codes to end the systematic problems of over-criminalization
- To increase public safety through effective rehabilitation programs
- To reduce recidivism by breaking down barriers faced by those returning home after detention or incarceration
- To ensure prompt and fair outcomes for both the accused and the victim
Harris weighed in on where Kentucky stands compared to the rest of the country in this issue, and where she feels reforms need to continue.