FRANKFORT, Ky. (LEX 18) — Just days before his inauguration, Gov.-Elect Andy Beshear announced seven more appointments to his administration.
Beshear started the news conference on Friday introducing La Tasha Buckner as his Chief of Staff. Her name might sound familiar because she has already been appointed as General Counsel for the administration.
Buckner is a graduate of the University of Kentucky College of Law and she has a long resume when it comes to litigation work. She has worked in the Attorney General's office, arguing on behalf of some notable cases including challenges related to pension reform and budget cuts to universities.
It was also announced Friday that John Hicks will be State Budget Director. Hicks has spent 32 years in Kentucky State Government, including 25 years in the Office of the State Budget Director. He was not at the news conference.
Gov. Matt Bevin's administration predicted that Kentucky faces a massive $1.1 billion shortfall over the next two years, but Beshear said at the conference that his administration is ready.
"We are reviewing the budget documents right now, there are parts of that memo we are likely to agree and disagree on. I believe the legislature’s analysis done, but we are ready for these challenges," said Beshear.
This was not the last set of announcements regarding appointments. Beshear hinted that there will be more before, and even after, he takes office.
Here is a list of Beshear's appointments:
- Office of the Governor, Chief of Staff La Tasha Buckner
- Finance and Administration Cabinet Secretary Holly McCoy-Johnson
- Tourism, Arts and Heritage Cabinet Secretary Mike Berry
- State Budget Director John Hicks
- Office of the Lieutenant Governor, Chief of Staff Susan Rieber
- Office of the Governor, Director of Legislative Services Dorsey Ridley
- Finance and Administration Cabinet, Department of Revenue Commissioner Tom Miller