LEXINGTON, Ky. (LEX 18) — The city of Lexington has issued a phase III heat alert Thursday.
High heat and humidity could lead to an increased risk of heat-related stress and illness. Experts recommend that people stay hydrated and to avoid strenuous activity out doors. Everyone is especially advised to check on elderly neighbors.
The Office of Homelessness Prevention and Intervention has activated its Emergency Summer Weather Plan. The Hope Center HopeMobile will be covering these extended days and will be distributing water, sunscreen, and other supplies. The Hope Center HopeMobile can be contacted at 859-252-7881.
A Phase III heat alert means the following things will be activated around the city:
- Lexington Parks and Recreation will offer half-price pool admission through Sunday, July 21.
- Lextran will provide free rides to shelters and cooling centers through Sunday, July 21.
- The Dunbar Community Center, 545 N. Upper Street, will open as a cooling center through Sunday, July 21. Exact hours will be posted.
- The Lexington Senior Center, 195 Life Lane, will open as a cooling center on Saturday, July 20 and Sunday, July 21, from noon – 4 pm.
- Additional facilities will open if there is sufficient demand for additional neighborhood cooling centers.
If you need help or have questions, dial 211 or text your zip code to 898211.