FRANKFORT, Ky. (AP/LEX 18) — Is food better in the Bluegrass state? Kentucky tourism officials are inviting visitors to decide for themselves.
The Kentucky Tourism Cabinet says in a statement that it is launching the Kentucky State Parks Culinary Trail, which features nine parks offering different signature meals that represent their region.
Some of the offerings include burgoo, the hot brown, soup beans, fried potatoes, collard greens, beer cheese, spoonbread and bourbon cake. Beverages also feature Kentucky fare including Ale-8-One and bourbon. One park offers a choice of milk or moonshine.
Kentucky Tourism Commissioner Kristen Branscum says the initiative "is a fun and interactive way to highlight the state’s signature dishes and encourage locals and visitors alike to explore every corner of our great state."
Parks will serve the meals from May 14 through Oct. 3.
State Parks Featured:
• Pennyrile Forest State Resort Park, Dawson Springs Bluegrass Blues & Barbecue Region
• Rough River Dam State Resort Park, Falls of Rough Bourbon, Horses & History Region
• Natural Bridge State Resort Park, Slade Bluegrass, Horses, Bourbon & Boone Region
• Barren River Lake State Resort Park, Lucas Caves, Lakes & Corvettes Region
• Jenny Wiley State Resort Park, Prestonsburg Kentucky Appalachians Region
• Pine Mountain State Resort Park, Pineville Daniel Boone Country Region
• Blue Licks Battlefield State Park, Carlisle Northern Kentucky River Region
• Lake Cumberland State Resort Park, Jamestown Southern Shorelines Region
• Kentucky Dam Village State Resort Park, Gilbertsville Western Waterlands Region