Kentucky State University investigation complete following bomb threat Tuesday morning

Posted at 6:02 AM, Feb 01, 2022

FRANKFORT, Ky. (LEX 18) — Law enforcement officials have completed an investigation of a bomb threat at Kentucky State University early Tuesday morning.

University Police, along with local and state law enforcement agencies, searched all campus facilities and have issued an all-clear. The shelter-in-place is lifted and it is now safe to return to campus.

According to a news release from the university, virtual classes are authorized for the rest of the day Tuesday. Employees should report to work. Residential students may resume accessing dining and student facilities. Normal operations and classes will resume Wednesday, Feb. 2. As a precaution and until further notice, students and employees will be required to use their campus ID to enter campus and campus buildings.

When the bomb threat was issued right before 6 a.m., Kentucky State University went under lockdown until around 8 a.m. Tuesday.

According to the Associated Press, at least six historically Black universities responded to bomb threats the day prior. Officials reported threats Monday at Albany State University in Georgia; Howard University in Washington, D.C.; Bowie State University in Maryland; Southern University and A&M College in Louisiana; Bethune-Cookman University in Florida; and Delaware State University. All are historically Black institutions.

It is unclear right now if this threat is connected to those incidents.

"The FBI is aware of the series of bomb threats around the country, and we are working with our law enforcement partners to address any additional threats," FBI Louisville said in a statement. "As always, we would like to remind members of the public that if they observe anything suspicious to report it to law enforcement immediately."

On Monday afternoon, Kentucky State Police arrested 18-year-old Kimerion Craddock in connection with multiple bomb threats at Franklin County schools.