LEX18 — Madison Lilley's mantel is getting full.
After a record-breaking season for the Kentucky volleyball team, Lilley has been named the Southeastern Conference Female Athlete of the Year. The SEC made the announcement Wednesday, while also naming Alabama football's DeVonta Smith as the conference's Male Athlete of the Year.
Lilley is the first volleyball player to win the award in the conference's history, and she is the second Kentucky Wildcat female athlete to ever earn the prestigious honor.
"We are proud to honor DeVonta and Madison, who not only excelled in the SEC but were also recognized as the best in their sport across the country. They are the ultimate examples of what it means to be a student-athlete in the Southeastern Conference," SEC Commissioner Greg Sankey said in a press release. "DeVonta and Madison both were members of national championship teams and recipients of their sport's national player of the year award.
"Each has competed at the highest level of collegiate athletics, benefitted from the world-class support provided by their universities and, through their hard work, dedication and commitment to excellence, have reached the pinnacle of collegiate athletic success. Congratulations to DeVonta and Madison and thank you for being part of the SEC!"
As for Lilley's other accomplishments this season, buckle up. It's a long list:
- 2020 NCAA National Champion
- 2020 NCAA Tournament Most Outstanding Player
- 2020-21 AVCA National Player of the Year
- 2020-21 AVCA First Team All-American
- 2020-21 SEC Player of the Year
- 2020-21 AVCA Region Player of the Year
- 2020-21 Honda Award Winner, Volleyball2020-21 Honda Cup - third place overall
- All-time assists leader at Kentucky
- Led the NCAA with 12.37 assists per set
- Paced the UK offense to the highest hitting percentage of any team in the NCAA
- BBN Tonight's CATSPY Award winner - Miss Wildcat, 2020
- Senior CLASS Award finalist
- Graduated from Kentucky in May with a degree in Integrated Strategic Communication
ANOTHA ONE for Madison Lilley!! This time, it's the Miss Wildcat CATSPY Award 💙— BBN Tonight (@BBNTonight) May 15, 2021
Her acceptance speech, @KentuckyVB ⬇️
Watch our final night of CATSPY coverage on https://t.co/ennDLpbazn now pic.twitter.com/ToZeb4AMXL
There's still another award she's hoping to win this off-season.
Lilley has been announced as a finalist for ESPN's Best Female College Athlete Award, which will be presented at the network's annual ESPY Award show later this month. Fan voting plays a major part in selecting a winner. You can vote here through 8 p.m. on July 9th:
Lilley is one of four finalists for the ESPY, joining Paige Bueckers (UConn women's basketball), Jaelin Howell (Florida State women's soccer) and Odicci Alexander (James Madison softball).
For more on the Kentucky volleyball team and all of the Wildcats, watch BBN Tonight weeknights at 7:30 on LEX18 News, and follow along with the official station of UK Athletics on social media: