LEXINGTON, Ky. (LEX 18) — Fayette County Public Schools will begin a phased-in return for outdoor athletics and extra-curricular activities on June 29, according to a press release.
Practice will resume for fall sports at the high school level (cheerleading, cross country, dance, football, golf, soccer and volleyball) on June 29, followed by middle school sports and other high school sports on July 6.
“Nothing is more important than the safety of our students and staff, and we believe we have taken all the steps necessary to ensure a safe return to campus,” said Fayette County Public Schools Superintendent Manny Caulk.
Other safety measures the district has taken or is in the process of completing include:
· Installing signage for designated work out areas around campus, and for drop off and pick up points to avoid congregation of students and families before, during, and after practice sessions.
· Adding outdoor sanitizing stations.
· Working with Kentucky American Water Company to procure individual water bottles for each athlete.
· Ensuring an adequate inventory of face shields, masks and no touch thermometers.
· Training coaches.
· Developing practice schedules to ensure adequate space for teams and social distancing guidelines.
• Ensure child is healthy and check their child’s temperature daily.
• Provide a full water bottle for each training.
• Carpooling with other teammates is prohibited.
• Adhere to social distance requirements based on state and local health guidelines. Entering the practice area or assisting the coach/director with equipment before or after training is prohibited.
• Wash child’s clothing after every training session.
• Sanitize all equipment/instruments (e.g. cleats, ball, etc.) before and after every training.
• Notify the coach/director immediately if your child becomes ill for any reason.
• Be sure your child has necessary sanitizer with them at all times.
• Temperature should be taken daily.
• Wash hands thoroughly before and after training.
• Bring own water bottle to every practice.
• Bring hand sanitizer to every training for personal use.
• Wear mask before and immediately after all training.
• Do not touch or share anyone else’s equipment, water, snack or bag.
• Practice social distancing by placing bags and equipment at least 6 feet apart.
• Wash and sanitize all equipment before and after every training.
• Refrain from group celebrations, including high fives, hugs, handshakes etc.